10 Reasons - Say No to Plastic Straw?
1. 71% of seabirds and 30% of turtles have been found with plastic in their stomach.
2. Plastic straws are among 10 trash items found on beach.
3. Plastic straws cannot be recycled.
4. U.S Consumption: Enough straws to wrap around the Earth’s Circumference 2.5 times a day.
5. 500 million straws are discarded every day in United States alone.
6. One of the biggest pollutants in the world.
7. When plastics break down, they can release toxic chemicals like bisphenol-A (BPA). This chemical is carcinogenic, and messes with hormones in marine animals.
8. If plastic straws get into the ocean; they can be mistaken for food by marine animals. When animals ingest plastic, it clogs up their digestive systems, which can easily choke or kill animals like birds or sea turtles.
9. Plastic straws are also the 7th most common trash item found during ocean cleanups.
10. Straws breakdown are broke down to small pieces called Microplastics.